Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Better NFL (Ghosts Get Pac-Man and Henry)


Too bad the executives for MLB and the NBA won't be visiting my blog. I am so thrilled with this decision by commissioner Goodell and his team. The message being sent to professional athletes in the NFL is now clear. Don't mess with the NFL!
Let's be honest now for a second...pro athletes of all kinds are treated differently. They have killed other motorists while drunk (Leanord Little, St. Louis Rams), allegedly made cocaine deals over the phone (Jamal Lewis, Cleveland Browns), been caught with multiple DUI's/DWI's, possession of drugs, reckless driving, even murder (Rae Carruth, Carolina Panthers).
More and more you see these young kids coming out of college, many of them early, to huge contracts for millions of dollars based on 'potential'. Michael Jordan was on Oprah not long ago with his pal Charles Barkley and echoed this. Back when Michael and Charles came into the NBA you were paid the going rate, no more, no less until you proved your worth. Now owners, corporate sponsorship directors, and everyone else who makes a dime off the brands (MLB, NBA, NFL, etc) are first in line to throw money at a 21 year old who has done nothing but excel on a field, court, or diamond with his/her PEERS.
Dexter Manley used to be the butt of a lot of jokes about reading skills (or lack of) for a man in his mid-20's. Dexter, of course wasn't alone in the 80's when this was a big problem. Guess what, he wouldn't be alone now either. Colleges, even high schools push these kids through too. Hell, high school coaches all over the US have been found helping great athletes along, most likely to be next in line for a payback should he/she make it big. Another big problem is the paychecks these kids get. I would really like to see one of the major prefessional organizations take a stab at an incetive based payroll system where each position is based a base salary and you are then paid based upon your performace (like all of us real world folks). Heck, if Peyton Manning doesn't throw a TD in 4 games, he still gets millions. Should Tom Brady trip over his three girlfriends and two bastard children, break his right arm, he still gets millions. If Michael Strahan has surgery to narrow his GAP, and he comes out of surgery less arrow-dynamic, he still cashes in. If I don't close a contract or two in a year, I lose my job. If I get hurt, I get 60% of my pay to live on. If I rape a chick in Colorado, she isn't going to settle out of court and my wife isn't going to stick around to have more kids....(mainly cuz I can't afford a $40K ring or a closet full of designer shoes).
Now, I am not going to get all Al Gore (my thoughts on Global Warming for another day) and think we are going to fix a problem with a few fancy seminars and some comedic reality, but I do think that the problem can only be fixed from the top down. The NFL is the first to take a serious position on combating the idiocy that seems to be growing with our pro athletes, our idols, and yes our public figured role models (Sorry Charles).
Being in the NFL is indeed a privilege, and not a right (Goodell)....all while being your damn job fellas. Part of your job is maintaining your respect in the public eye, whether you like it or not. Your code of conduct, even prior to today's decisions, states something to the affect that being an asshole will be cause for missing games, and hence your paycheck.
I am so excited about this footprint that Goodell is making. The NFL was on the verge of becoming the NBA, or even baseball before it's crack down on steroids. I have always said that the NFL was the best in show, and it still is. Goodell is simply taking out an insurance policy to make damn sure it doesn't stray.
For Pac-Man and Chris Henry....be happy that was all you got. The only reason I believe the punishment wasn't more "permanent" is because you were the examples. Tank Johnson, you're next (and you had no place in the Super Bowl, nor did Eugene Robinson years ago). Hopefully both players realize that this is a second (third, fourth, or whatever) chance to prove your worth.
My only changes to the punishment would have been to negate their contracts and make them lobby (once the punishment was completed) to negotiate a new contract after. Going without pay was nice, but let's ensure that the LAW takes the action they need to as well. Lord knows if I had been a part of a shooting and assault outside of MINXX when my group of friends was in Vegas last, I'd still be in Vegas. Lucky for Pac-Man, what happens in Vegas, doesn't always STAY in Vegas.
Thank you Mr. Goodell...clean them up, or ship them out....I am sure there's room for them in the NBA.

1 comment:

Big Tasty said...

Great Post! I echo these sentiments 100% I hope the NBA and MLB can step up and make similar type statements. These leagues are bigger than any individual player and there actions have rippling effects and they need to realize this. I hope that these men learn this tough lesson (it is going to cost PacMan 1.2 mil) and come back better than ever. I agree these guys are lucky the suspension werent longer and I think if you continue to show that the rules dont apply to you then you will no longer have a place in the NFL. My hat goes off to Mr. Goodall and I only hope we see other commissioners follow suit. Great post!!!