Saturday, November 17, 2007

Parenting...(who's life is it?)

A brief but amazing conversation came up last night...and it begs for more. My wife and I were sharing thoughts about how amazing it is that our lives change so much every day now that we are parents.

Our son Andrew will be two in January, and his sister Sofia will be born two weeks after. Maybe it's the euphoric bliss you experience the first year of parenting that blinds you some, but it's hard to look back and think about anything for yourself....? Maybe it's just us, but I have to believe there are other parents out there that find this the norm.

I just shared in a story with a colleague/mentor of mine too, where he traveled 4 hours to spend time with a close friend (whom lost a child, 17 years old, 7 weeks ago, sad) who is mourning, then go to a wedding, and head home. His trip was interrupted by a call that his youngest son (also 17) was ill back home. Now the plan is to skip the wedding and take care of family at home.

It's confirmed in my book....if you truly value being a parent, your children's lives will become yours. The first new bike, the first big fall, the first poop (we had a first pee yesterday, hilarious)...and then all the other firsts that come later; school, girls/boys, dances, football games, etc. Even now with a pre-2 year old I just want 5 minutes inside his head....it's fascinating really. I think about, what he thinks about all too often.

My selfishness these days relates to my lack of patience for Drew to grow-up....and although that means skipping through, or fast-forwarding time some, it doesn't ever mean I want to experience something without him (and soon Sofia). It makes me proud to say/type that too....and reconfirms my thought. You will know that you have the makings to be a good parent, when you KNOW that their lives, their experiences, are more valuable at this time than yours are.

All for now-

Papa Skogie

No comments: