Saturday, September 15, 2007

Notre Dame's Next Head Coach!

As mentioned last time, my apologies for the long delay in posts....things are finally settling down. The house was completed on August 20th, and we closed the 22nd. We moved in nearly immediately, and are finally settled (outside of backyard landscaping) today.
Andrew loves his new house, tons of space to run, stairs to scale, and the P-A-R-K is only a short walk away. He visits the park nearly every single day. This picture was from Thursday morning's trip to the park....and will be used as the cover page for his coaching resume to be presented to the Notre Dame hiring committee. At this point Drew could coach this team just as well as the $6M man they have now!
It's so amazing to me that there has been no talk about Charlie Weis' lack of coaching ability. This guy is a few years into his ND tenure, has never won a bowl game, hasn't appeared to recruit a soph/frosh that has made an impact in any fashion what so ever....and has received a contract extension and more money???
Let's get one thing straight....ND football is a JOKE now....and I LOVE it. They hired a guy that never proved anything....simply rode the coat-tails of one Billy Belicheat (more on that in a second) to Super Bowls, and never had to do much at all.
It really seems to me that all sports (pro/collegiate) are paying people based on potential. It used to truly MEAN something to be a #1 draft pick, or a newly hired coach....at any level. Now all you hear is how much $$$ someone will get in a signing bonus, or how much over however many years one is set to make. I think all of sports has lost touch with winning. We don't praise a Super Bowl Team, a National Champion, World Series Champ, etc much after the clock hits 00.00, the last out is made. The Colts won it all last year in the NFL, and what was all the talk about post draft?? How much money was being turned down by the #1 pick ($32M)....mainly because less than half was guaranteed. Guess what kids....none of it should be guaranteed. Before the first preseason, the so called experts were already claiming the New England Patriots the Super Bowl Champs.....HA!
I enjoy the chats, emails, and ESPN discussions show after show as much as the next guru, however, I am sick and tired of the all BS. It's about time the commissioner of one of our famed pro-sport organizations take a step in the right direction through the compensation these players receive. I would LOVE to see a PLAN put in place to pay each position a set salary based upon tenure. Ensuring that the OL, DL, start higher than your RB, QB, etc....as they work harder than anyone during the course of a game. Then, provide incentives for statistics (it has to be done somehow based on averages)....but more importantly, place the biggest bonuses on WINNING. Win, 8 games, set bonus, make the playoffs, set bonus, so on and so on. Win the Bowl, make a million dollars??? I just don't see how this cannot work. The bonuses for stats would be small (no fighting over the ball, etc)....and the big bucks are shelled out where they count, for the TEAM that WINS games.
I can see how this could change some of the competitive balance with trades, draft, etc....but you KNOW it can work. It's getting hard to see a young college kid making $30M before he ever takes a snap, and you know for a fact that he may never amount to much at all. It has to change...or things like what happened in the NBA (point shaving by refs), NFL (Belicheat and the video tape), and MLB (rampant drug use) will continue to flare up.
As stated by one of my good pals in Colorado...."you didn't see all this cheating shit back when guys had to have second jobs to make a living..." And it is so true....money has crippled sports, and it can only get worse with the more money that ends up in players hands, well before they have ever come close to earning it.
Moving on, I am not going to comment on the Brewers and their potential playoff run. Every time I get excited and speak up, they lose with their ACE on the mound (see last night's box score). If they lose to the Cubs in this race I will puke....the CUBS SUCK!
NFL Sunday tomorrow, I JUST LOVE IT! Packers "D" has me excited again....and having Ty in the house with the Bears 0-1 is making it even better. Now I am interested in watching the Pats lose too....I cannot stand a cheater! I hope they make the playoffs (so they lose the 1st round pick) and then I hope they get creamed by the Titans (who sneak in with the Wild Card).
If you read this, thanks for sticking around and weathering the wait....I should be able to make a better effort now that I have no job. Unemployment has been good to me and I am enjoying the time at home, the park, and with Andrew full time. Once Sofia comes (ohh yeah, Daddy's Little Girl is on the way!!), things will be nuts....and I can't wait!
Best to all...
Papa Skogie!

No comments: