Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Is it time for Favre to sail away???



Hot topic this week after Favre's angry comments about how management failed to lure Randy Moss prior to and during this year's draft.

Go to espn.com and listen to the Big Show podcast with Olbermann and Patrick. I used to like Oberman, and for the first time sided with Patrick.

I am a Packer fan and somewhat biased. HOWEVER, I am the first guy in line to smack Favre for his prayer long balls, his double coverage mistakes, and his tendency to try to "fit it in" with that arm that doesn't seem to have faded over the years. The question here is is it time to walk away....and my answer is simple...NO.

Before I justify my response, let's talk over the podcast topics. Patrick figures Favre is still a top ten QB in the NFL....hard to argue, yet Olbermann says there's no chance. Here is a list of the guys that Olbermann feels are better today (and my thought):

Manning (agree), Palmer (agree), Brady (I'll catch hell, but I agree today), Bulger (no), Brees (no), Vick (no), McNair (no), Hasslebeck (no), Big Ben (no), Rivers (not a chance), Pennington (no), Romo (no, Olbermann said if Favre went to Dallas, he would play Romo), Eli (no way), JP Losman and Grossman were "maybe" and Jake Delhomme was the first that Olbermann said was not as good as Brett.

Listen people, I will make this simple for all. Brett Favre IS, plain and simple one of the best 3 QB's to ever play football....PERIOD. Of the guys above, only one of them will be in that category at the end of his career....and one other close (Manning and Brady respectively). Manning may just lead that group in my mind, and Brady will be in there because he has hardware...although like Montana he played on GREAT teams....but he's solid.

Favre is also still performing very well on a young team that lacks offensive weapons and a running game. Favre has earned the right to complain about Ted T's lack of moves and effort to increase the potency of the offense.....as have all of us cheese-head fans. The Packers were 8-8 last year, had three losses by a combined 8 points, and won 4 straight to end the season, beating a full first squad Chicago team (in Chicago) to close it out. To think that any QB on the Packer roster, or any QB other than Brady or Manning could come in there and make this a playoff team is possible...but my thought is that Favre can do it this year.

The 06 Packers were average, and began the climb to playoff potential late. The NFC still sucks ass, and will provide an open door to any team that can be competitive week in and week out. I think the Packer's D is better, young, and talented. If they can somehow find a running game, and score a few more points, they can play in January....and you can bet Favre can still do what it takes to win then.

Provided I am wrong this year, then yes, Farve should take his records, ring, and legend to Canton....and call it a career. All I ask is that Aaron Roger isn't the guy that takes over...I bet Randy Wright still has more arm than that CA kid...

Either way Keith O needs to get off the Kallio diet and stick to his new day job on politics, not sports....(I knew there was a reason he moved over the fence....his sports knowledge is as solid as Hugh Hefner without the little blue pill).

Back to WI this weekend for a blessed union of friends....see you all soon!

No comments: