Thursday, September 26, 2013

Say you can't...I DARE you!!!!

When time allows, watch this video.  Pay attention...pay close attention.  When you gasp, choke up, or even cry, think hard about what you have accomplished so far in life and then, think harder about what more you are capable of.


When I watched this, I road the emotional roller-coaster a few times (and for those that don't know, I am not a coaster fan of any kind).  In the beginning I was proud of this man, his father, and their acceptance of reality.  As the video progressed, I became sad for all those in similar situations who lack hope & drive. Towards the end, I found myself angry.  Not angry at others, these challenging situations, but at myself.

In our house "can't" has always been a bad word.  My kids will both tell you that "can't" isn't a nice word and they know that if it's used, the response from Sandra or I isn't favorable.  My kids and nieces will also tell you that they are Mexi-CANS, not Mexi-CAN'Ts.  Sure we joke, but this video makes that phrase less funny, and all the more real.

Why anger?  Well, because if you think long and hard enough (as I just did), you know for a fact that you haven't tried hard enough, pushed yourself, given 110%, or left something inside when asked or tasked with giving your all.  We've all been guilty of this at some point, each and every person out there (maybe even Richie here).  The difference is, Richie has already overachieved by leaps and bounds, defied the odds, and made believers out of every doubter.  Many of us "normal" folks (to steal Richie's comment - "Whatever normal is") have not.  We settle...we give in, we give up, and we all too often simply don't try.

Next time you're challenged, next time you think you "can't"...hell, next time you do anything, do your damn best. And, remember, if you don't, there's always someone out there that will.  Richie proves that...and he proves it with little or no doubt at all.

Be well, laugh often, do your best & make good decisions!

PS - Thanks Rob for sending me this!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting to see the difference in attitude of someone born without vs have something taken midway through life. That's all he knew and had to grow up without arms vs having to adapt. Hell of a story and inspiration to us all. What do we want to do versus what we say we want to do.